||The Celtic Football Club
- The Celtic Football Club, commonly known as Celtic (/ˈsɛltɪk/), is a Scottish professional football club based in Glasgow, which plays in the Scottish Premiership.
- Although not its official name, it is often referred to as Glasgow Celtic outside the UK.
- The club was founded in 1887[nb 1] with the purpose of alleviating poverty in the immigrant Irish population in the East End of Glasgow.
- They played their first match in May 1888, a friendly match against Rangers which Celtic won 5–2.
- Celtic established themselves within Scottish football, winning six successive league titles during the first decade of the 20th century.
- The club enjoyed their greatest successes during the 1960s and 70s under Jock Stein, when they won nine consecutive league titles and the 1967 European Cup.
- Celtic have played in green and white throughout their history, adopting hoops in 1903, which have been used ever since.